INDEPENDENT TRAINING SERVICES- would like to thank all of the clients involved in the “LOSE TO DONATE” challenge that was held in December 2007. Since I.T.S Grand opening in September clients were given the goal to donate 1 non perishable food item for every pound lost. Through this challenge clients donated approximately a hundred pounds of food to the local food bank. “The goal was to allow clients the visualization tool to perceive their achievement and to feel good about helping our community, a win- win for everyone!” said Michelle Tanner I.T.S personal trainer
Column 3 -Orillia Packet and Times
By Michelle Tanner
“The Fitness Honeymoon”
Many area residents and visitors could not have planned a better day to enjoy the annual renewal of one young Canadian’s dream created 30 years ago. Kudos to the participants and dedicated volunteers on another great Terry Fox Run -- your diligent fund-raising efforts take us that much closer to finding a cure or better treatments for all types of cancer.
· Plan and Schedule Your Workouts -Be Flexible When Scheduling Workouts - If you haven’t had enough rest the night before a planned, early morning workout, adjust your schedule to allow your body more time to get moving. Or, adjust your workout time. You’ll be able to find the energy you need to successfully engage in activity.
· Get Outdoors – Sometimes when your mind is in a rut, this may be hard to do, especially if you are a regular gym user. Nothing will pick you up more in late fall as hiking, biking, running, or walking outdoors.
· Turn The Lights On – If you work out at home, and are used to working out between 5 and 6 a.m. or 7 and 9 p.m., make your surroundings brighter. Light can help awaken your body and keep your energy level high.
· Vary Your Workouts – Walking or running the same distance or course every day can become boring. Keep your routines interesting and fresh by taking a new route or trying a new class. By varying your workout, you’ll activate your mind and challenge your body.
· Be Creative – Run while your children bike. Rake leaves. Walk to appointments. The options are endless. Also, find “non- workout” activities that can be enjoyable, cause your heart rate to increase and pump your blood.
· Find A Partner – Having someone relying on your presence and your commitment will motivate both of you.
· Find Workout-Related Rewards – Massages, pedicures, new fitness books, new socks or shoes, and music are all great choices to - - but stir clear of food related rewards ---unless it is a healthy choice.
· Set Goals – Terry Fox used every road sign and fence post as interim goals during his Marathon of Hope. It works! Short- and long-term goals will provide focus. Set realistic, SMART goals that you can achieve, such as (short term) exercising three times a week in order to lose, say, 25-lbs (a long term goal). By setting achievable goals, your mind will allow you to keep pushing to your fitness goal.
· Use Upbeat Music - Good tunes will get your mind pumped and your body energized.
· Imagine – How do you want to feel or look? I love the feeling after I have just finished my workout. The sense of accomplishment is so empowering and can keep you motivated on days when you’d rather throw in the towel.
Michelle Tanner is a Personal Trainer and Fitness Instructor who owns Independent Training Services. Learn more about Michelle and I.T.S at www.itspersonaltraining.com or call (705)326-8015.
Articles Published about I.T.S & Community Involvement
- January 2015- On The Run- Orillia Packet & Times
- July 2007, Tanner the Trainer wants to get Orillia Moving. Orillia Packet and Times.- People- community businesses.
- Keep a look out for an article to appear in the month of January in the Packet and Times in regards to I.T.S food drive.
- Barrie Osprey- Tanner the Trainer gets community moving- community businesses.
- Orillia Today- Mike Dodd- People.
- February 15 2008 - Packet & Times - Loose to Donate Challenge
- September 2008- Terry Fox Run - Fitness Instructor for walk/ run
- September 2009- Terry Fox Run - Fitness Instructor for walk/ run
- September 2010- Terry Fox Run - Fitness Instructor for walk/ run
eptember 2010- Preparing for Community Events
- September 2010-
- September 2010- The Fitness Honey
moon- Orillia Packet & Times- Article
- October 2010- The Fitness Gui
de for Gardeners
- September 2011- Terry Fox Run - Fitness Instructor for walk/run warm-up.
- April 22 2012- I.T.S Sponsors Unity Spring Thaw- Barrie ON
- September 2012- Terry Fox Run- Fitness Instructor for walk/run warm-up.
- September 2013- Terry Fox Run- Fitness Instructor For Walk/Run Warm-up.
- January 2014.- Sponsored Athlete for Running Free